Shadow and Light | Opposition Equals Beauty

impressioncrop Shadow and Light | Opposition Equals Beauty

impression IIIstraighten Shadow and Light | Opposition Equals Beauty

I may not be the best, but I’m having fun painting!  We were instructed to do an impression portrait today, which I’ve never done before, and I cheated some.  The biggest difference to achieve impressionism is to dab your brush on, not pull it or scrub it to move the paint around.  I did about half and half.  Many times through the process I wanted to throw her away, telling myself I suck and who do I think I am trying to be an artist?  In order to get the end result, many ugly layers must go down first, to build up color and depth to make it interesting.  If we just painted one flat color (like the color of flesh) it would not be interesting and would have no shadows or light.

Kind of like life, I guess.  All of our shadows and all of our light make our beautiful selves.  Often the most interesting people are full of adventure and bumps in the road – interesting in life and art.

process collagesmall e1327539105843 Shadow and Light | Opposition Equals Beauty

I started out with a simple contour drawing – a clean slate, new to life.  Next I built up the dark areas to create shadows – the bumps and bruises along the path of life.  Then came the the light, though by no means pretty sitting right on top of the darkness.  Yeah, at this point I wanted to cry and forget about the whole thing.  How could these two worlds of shadow and light make anything pretty?  It’s when you start adding even greater light (white) to keep pulling out those highlights and blending with the dark areas.  We don’t want to cover up the dark, because we need it as a part of us forever, to make our light noticeable and brighter.  Even after, we still have to go back in and shade the areas that have become too washed out.

It’s a constant process of making sure our shadows aren’t too heavy to let any light shine, but also to make sure that we don’t completely cover up our shadows with light, because we need opposition in all things to appreciate beauty.

Related posts:

share save 256 24 Shadow and Light | Opposition Equals Beauty
This entry was posted in The Artist and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Shadow and Light | Opposition Equals Beauty

1. this turned out great angela. i love the impressionistic look of it. great job. i’m glad you didn’t give in and throw it out.

angela Reply:

@Jacquie Williamson,

Thanks, Jacquie! I always think back to watching Misty Mawn paint -- she has awkward stages, too, stages that don’t look pretty and you wonder where she is going with it; then like magic, suddenly she has this gorgeous portrait appear. I think it would do us all good to just count on it being the process for every painting! It would help with the emotional roller coaster :-)

Thanks for visiting :-)

2. Michelle says:

Congrats, you did a great job, she’s beautiful, well done.

angela Reply:

@Michelle,

Thanks, Michelle <3

3. Toni says:

She came out very nice. And I like your post about the process!

angela Reply:

@Toni,

Thank you. And thanks for visiting, Toni!

4. Anna says:

She ‘s so beautiful and thank you for showing the process
    Anna

angela Reply:

@Anna,

You are welcome! Thanks for visiting, Anna <3

5. marisasea says:

so beautiful, you just keep getting better and better in your portraits. this is the best one yet. :)

angela Reply:

@marisasea,

I just looked through your blog and I just love its simple beauty and softness. You are a sweet soul and that comes through so prevalent. I noticed one of your pics of Almaden Ave… I grew up in the Bay Area! It brought me home to see that picture <3

Thanks for visiting.

6. Carol Weiler says:

This was a beautiful post as well as a beautiful painting. A perfect example of
    life, art, spirituality being one. Interesting that you felt like quitting,questioned and then continued,you knew there was something better waiting to emerge. beautiful!

angela Reply:

@Carol Weiler,

Aw, thanks Carol! Hopefully we can all manage to have this perspective in life <3

Thank you so much for visiting.

[Reply]

7. You stayed with it..and it paid off….

Looks great Angela. I love watching art and artists and their style..and how it unfolds. It’s a great thing.

angela Reply:

@sunshine barlowe lewis,

Hi Sunny girl! Thank you so much <3 Hopefully unfolding the process will give others hope! ;-)

Thanks for stopping by <3

8. Daisy Coba says:

She is beautiful! Love it.

angela Reply:

@Daisy Coba,

Thank you, Daisy! I went to your site and see that you like creating with clay. I’m taking a workshop now with Misty Mawn and part of the course covers clay sculpture -- she is partial to paper clay (I read about your little battle between polymer and paper…) ;-)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

9. alice says:

Hi,

Your artwork is really beautiful.
    J’adore ♥

angela Reply:

@alice,

Alice, hi! Thank you very much for your kind words!

I looked through your site and love your girl paintings… adorable <3 I also see that you are part of the Milliande art community… me too!

Thanks for stopping by!