There’s not too much I don’t like about being Mormon, but not drinking coffee is one thing! I was a coffee drinker before I converted five years ago. Not the kind that had to have her coffee every morning, but the kind that really enjoyed it with dessert. Especially cold, windy days called for a visit to Starbucks or Peet’s to get a cafe latte, and an iced Americano was a favorite treat on hot summer days. Breaking the habit was hard. Very hard. Even today when a roasting pot wafts my way, I am delighted with its distinct smell and fight the urge to have a cup. But today, my friends in similar quandaries – or those who are just trying to give up coffee for other reasons, I have great, great news. It’s called Teeccino Herbal Coffee.
Here’s why I love Teeccino Herbal Coffee:
- It’s not coffee. There is no coffee, whatsoever, in it.
- It smells as good as coffee.
- You brew it in a coffee pot just like coffee.
- It has the same texture and consistency of coffee.
- It tastes strikingly similar to coffee.
- You add your normal creamer and sweetener as you would with your favorite cup of joe. (I use raw milk and Stevia)
- It tastes great hot and cold.
- It’s mostly natural, containing barley, carob, and a variety of other nuts, figs, and fruits to simulate the coffee taste.
- I can drink it. And I do… oh, I do. Lots and lots.
- There is no caffeine.
- It’s non-acidic.
- It restores an alkaline balance in your body.
- It’s safe before, during, and after pregnancy.
- It’s good for you!
- It’s GLUTEN FREE!!!!
The one thing I cannot say is that it’s not ADDICTING. Because I happen to think it is. I start a pot in the morning, drink several hot cups, chill the rest, and have an iced-coffee dessert, or two, at night. Mmmmmm. I am in love. So, so in love. Maybe just slightly less than with my husband.
It comes in light, medium, and dark roasts in a huge variety of flavors from Vanilla Nut, to Chocolate Mint. I’ve been sipping the Mediterranean Java, which I hear is a little sweeter than some from the Maya collection, which more exactly imitate the true taste of coffee.
Some things to know:
- Despite there being Barley in it, it IS Gluten Free. A study confirms that BREWED teeccino does not contain gluten.
- The makers of Teeccino only deal in fair trade. (yay)
- Teeccino does not taste EXACTLY like coffee. But it is a DARN good alternative!
- You can buy a whole Teeccino sampler pack before committing to a one-pound bag. Free shipping.
- This is VERY hard to find in stores. I did not see it at Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but I did find some at a local no-name health food store by my house. I do believe Sunflower Markets carry it.
- The best place to buy is from Amazon. A one pound bag is normally about $10. You can buy a 3-pack for about $22 on Amazon. Buy that book you’ve always wanted at the same time to get your total up to $25 and get free shipping :-)
- You can drink it now, and thank me later :-)